Prospective and current VIP students often ask - how much time does it take to participate in VIP?
VIP involves a 1-hour team meeting (class) each week, plus time on the project outside of team meetings and sub-team meetings. Time spent outside of class varies by the number of credit hours students register for, which is similar to the ratio for traditional courses.
- Students who register for 1 credit hour can expect to spend about 2-3 hours outside of class working on their projects each week.
- Students who register for 2 credit hours can expect to spend 4-6 hours outside of class working on their projects each week.
- Students who register for 3 credit hours(1) can expect to spend 7-9 hours outside of class working on their projects each week OR completing other TA requirements.
- Students who register for 0 credit hours are paid by their instructor or another funding source to participate. They should see their instructors/sponsors for guidelines.
Students also ask - how many credits can I take each semester with the VIP program?
Students should consider how their VIP credits would count toward their degree requirements.
- Sophomores are limited to 1 credit hour per semester.
- Juniors can take 1-2 credit hours per semester.
- Seniors can take 1-2 credit hours per semester.
- Students using VIP for Senior Design or Capstone can take 3 hours in their final semester of their design/capstone sequence(2).
- Graduate students can take 1-3 credit hours per semester.
- Students who are paid to participate in VIP enroll for a 0-credit section. This includes Graduate Research Assistants who work with the VIP team as part of their research, undergraduates with President's Undergraduate Research Awards (PURA), and students paid an hourly rate by the instructor.
(1) For eligibilty requirements, contact us at email@example.com
(2) For CS Junior Design, students are eligible if they have accumulated less than 3 VIP credit hours going into their final semester.