The VIP Team will look at the challenging domain of Maritime Robotics. The oceans cover over 70% of our planet’s surface and constitute a critical element in our quality of life, including both the climate and the resources and food that we obtain from the sea. The goal of this team will be to address new research in maritime robotics including navigation of underwater and surface vehicles, mapping and exploration underwater, and other challenging maritime robotic technologies.
Issues Involved or Addressed
Marine robotics, sensing/perception of objects in unstructured marine environment, autonomous systems, collaborative technology, power and energy
Methods and Technologies
Academic Majors of Interest
- Computing›Computational Media
- Computing›Computer Science
- Engineering›Aerospace Engineering
- Engineering›Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Engineering›Computer Engineering
- Engineering›Electrical Engineering
- Engineering›Mechanical Engineering
- Sciences›Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Preferred Interests and Preparation
EE, CmpE, CS – Background/interest in autonomy, collaborative control, image processing and embedded systems, power and energy, electrical design and integration, virtual environments. Programming skills are required.
ME – Hydrodynamic modeling, acoustics, mechanical design and instrumentation.
AE – Fluid analysis.
BIOL and Marine Sciences – Ocean biology, ocean chemistry, bio-fouling.
Meeting Schedule & Location
- Electrical and Computer Engineering